Sunday, February 14, 2010

Snow in Jukjeon??

So I've been told that it does snow in Korea, but it never accumulates to anything decent. This was also my experience during the beginning of the winter here. It was a very good thing that I came back from home when I did. I got back to Korea on Saturday night and made it through Sunday dreading going to work on Monday. Well...I work up on Monday to Emily knocking on my door to tell me we had a snow delay. I'm sorry, what??? Yes, we were having a delay because of snow. Sweet, now I get to sleep longer. Fast forward about an hour or so and Emily knocks on my door again to tell me we have the whole day off. This is insane, we don't get snow here! I look out the window and see that there's abour 6 inches of snow. By the end of it all, we got about 10 inches. Now those of you at home in Connecticut know that 10 inches is NOTHING. Yeah, we'll get a day off, but all the snow will be off the roads in a couple hours. Well, that's not so easy in Korea. Korea has no clue what to do with snow after a snowstorm. I never saw a plow truck nor did anyone I know see a plow truck. I don't think they exist in this country. Instead, they used cranes to put the snow in dump trucks which they dumped in the empty lot by our school. People would shovel themselves out and then put the snow in piles in the middle of the street. A week later, there were still huge piles of frozen snow in front of my apartment building.



And this was a week later...

No comments:

Post a Comment