Thursday, September 13, 2012

Ah, Korea!

Before I begin, I'd just like to say that I am very happy to be living and working in Korea again. This post and the last one are a very tiny part of what goes on here, but I felt the need to share.

So I've been adjusting to living here in Korea again, and I've learned that I have forgotten how to survive in this country. The stares, the pushing, the crowded elevators are taking some getting used to again.

The Stares Yes, hello! I am white. I am female. I have big boobs. I've walked past you, yet I can still feel your eyes digging into my flesh. I turn my head to see you craning your neck in order to continue your stare.

The Stopping in the Middle of the Sidewalk What a wonderful day for a walk. I can't wait to...oh I'm sorry for bumping into you. I didn't expect you to just stop walking to look at your phone. I guess I need to do a better job of watching where I'm going.

The Pushing Oh, hel. Hel. Hello. I'm sorry, was I in your way? I thought I was walking down a completely empty sidewalk yet you still pushed me half way into the street to get past me and then didn't say anything. The crowd around me must be invisible to my plain foreigner eye.

The Crowded Elevator Awesome, an empty elevator! *Walks in and sees about 20 Koreans running for the elevator door before it closes. Hits the "close door" button, but it doesn't work. Ends up squished at the back of the elevator for 12 floors. Wanted to go to the 4th floor.*

Getting out of an Elevator *Sees Korean guy get right up to the door, his face practically touching it.* Don't worry man, it's all yours. You obviously have some place extremely important to be.

Pedestrians vs. Cars I'm just walking down the street la la la. I'm coming up to a crosswalk. I begin to cross. HOLY SHIT A CAR IS SPEEDING DOWN THE ROAD AND ISN'T HITTING HIS BRAKES!!! Oh thank goodness Hyundai makes good brakes!

Or...

I'm crossing the crosswalk as a car is turning onto it. Oh hello car. I'm just walk...hey, why the hell aren't you stopping?!??! (The other day, this ended with me punching the hood of the car.)

I really do love it here!

And I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment